Researchers to Unite at Texas State Capitol
Prominent stem cell scientists, physicians, and advocates from leading medical facilities and research institutions across Texas and California will highlight the 3rd Annual Stem Cell Research Symposium: Spotlight on Texas, on October 19, 2012, at the Texas State Capitol.
The free, public symposium , produced and co-hosted by the Austin-based nonprofit Texas Cures Education Foundation (Texas Cures), is designed to educate the public about the exciting stem cell research and clinical trials currently under way in Texas. The event will also include a discussion of recent Texas laws affecting stem cell research, the potential economic impact of stem cell research and highlight the current progress in one of the most promising areas of medicine.
This year, more than a dozen local and national advocacy groups, institutions and foundations showed support for the efforts of the hosting organizations Texas Cures and Texans for Stem Cell Research including the Genetics Policy Institute, Alliance for Regenerative Medicine and Texans for Advancement of Medical Research.
The symposium begins at 8:30 AM in the Capitol Extension Auditorium (E1.004) located at the Texas State Capitol Building. Admission is free and open to the public. Registration is recommended.
This historic program unites the diverse stem cell research and regenerative medicine community to provide a unified voice for promising science that holds unmatched potential to benefit patients. Leading speakers from across the state participating this year include:
- Terry Clower, PhD Director of Center for Economic Development and Research University of North Texas
- William K. Decker, PhD Department of Pathology and Immunology Baylor College of Medicine
- Ali Denktas M.D., FACC, FSCAI The University of Texas Medical School at Houston
- Randal F. Dryer, MD Central Texas Spine Institute, LLP in Austin, Texas
- Roger Gammon, MD Medical Director of Research Interventional Cardiologist Austin Heart, PLLC
- Adrian Gee, MI Biol, PhD Departments of Medicine and Pediatrics Section of Hematology-Oncology Baylor College of Medicine Director, Clinical Applications Lab Center for Cell and Gene Therapy
- Jim Henson, PhD Director, Texas Politics Project and Department of Government, College of Liberal Arts The University of Texas at Austin
- Jenny Hsieh, PhD Department of Molecular Biology UT Southwestern Medical School
- Paul S. Knoepfler, PhD Cell Biology & Human Anatomy Genome Center, Cancer Center Institute for Regenerative Cures School of Medicine University of California, Davis
- James F. Martin, M.D., Ph.D. Vivian L. Smith Professor of Regenerative Medicine, Department of Molecular Physiology and Biophysics, Baylor College of Medicine and Director Cardiomyocyte Renewal Laboratory Texas Heart Institute
- Mary Pat Moyer, PhD Founder, President, CEO and Chief Science Officer, INCELL Corporation, LLC Founder, CEO and Technical Advisor, TEKSA Innovations Corp. in San Antonio, Texas
- Darwin J. Prockop, MD, PhD FACC Department of Molecular and Cellular Medicine, Director, Institute for Regenerative Medicine, Texas A&M Health Science Center, College of Medicine at Scott & White in Temple
- Sean I. Savitz, MD Professor, Department of Neurology, Director, Stroke Program Director, UT Stroke Regenerative Medicine Program, University of Texas Medical School at Houston
- Jay W. Schneider, MD, PhD Assistant Professor, Department of Internal Medicine- Cardiology University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas
- Doris A. Taylor, PhD, FAHA, FACC Director, Regenerative Medicine Research Texas Heart Institute at St. Luke’s Episcopal Hospital in Houston
- James T. Willerson, MD, FACC President and Medical Director: Texas Heart Institute, Edward Randall III Professor in Internal Medicine, The University of Texas Health Science Center
- Paul Wong, PhD Department of Molecular Carcinogenesis, Science Park-Research Division in Smithville, Texas.
For additional details about the program and presentation topics visit TexasCures.org.
The 3rd Annual Stem Cell Research Symposium: Spotlight on Texas is an official World Stem Cell Awareness Day Event. Follow #stemcellday for live twitter updates on October 19th, 2012 and announcements this week. http://www.stemcellday.com